Gum health is an important aspect of overall oral health and can impact general health as well. Here are some tips to improve gum health:
- Brush twice a day: Brushing teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste can help remove plaque and prevent gum disease.
- Floss daily: Flossing helps remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and gumline.
- Use mouthwash: Antiseptic mouthwash can kill bacteria and freshen breath.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can damage the gums and increase the risk of gum disease.
- Eat a balanced diet: A balanced diet that is low in sugar and high in vitamins and minerals can help improve gum health.
- Visit the dentist regularly: Regular dental check-ups and cleanings can help prevent gum disease and catch it early if it does occur.
In addition to these tips, gum disease can also be treated and managed with proper dental care and at-home oral hygiene.
- American Dental Association. (2021). How to Keep Your Gums Healthy. Retrieved from https://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/g/gum-health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021). Oral Health. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/basics/index.html
- World Health Organization. (2021). Oral Health. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/oral-health
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Gum Disease (Periodontitis). Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gum-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20354216